Archived Lottery News for October, 2000
Tuesday, October 31, 2000
Monday, October 30, 2000
- 10:00 am – Dennis McIntosh of Richmond, Virginia, is sharing his $150,000 Big Game lottery prize with his brother-in-law, who gave McIntosh the money to buy his lottery ticket. Click over to the story, including details about the amount of winnings after taxes. Long-time BigGameLottery.com readers will recognize one of my gripes about the Virginia Lottery web site: the picture will take an agonizingly long time to load over a modem line. Note to Virginia Lottery Webmaster: use an image reducer!
- Also in the news is a completely different type of lottery. Today is the last day to enter the Green Card lottery, which provides 55,000 Green Cards to winning entrants. Click over to the story for eligibility requirements.
- Don't forget to play for the $11 million Big Game jackpot at PlayBigGame.com. The drawing is tomorrow night at 11:00 PM Eastern Time. Maybe you'll get a nice Halloween treat?
Saturday, October 28, 2000
Friday, October 27, 2000
Wednesday, October 25, 2000
- 8:45 pm – Three more stories on the $87 million California Super Lotto Plus jackpot winners:
Feeling 'Like a Million' -- or $87 Million - Los Angeles Times (Oct 25, 2000)
All for one, and miracle payday for all - USA Today (Oct 25, 2000)
L.A. Workers Share $87M Lotto Prize - AP (Oct 24, 2000)
- Riverfront casino foes rejected - Detroit Free Press (Oct 25, 2000)
- S.C. asked to gamble on schools - USA Today (Oct 24, 2000)
- 12:55 pm – The $87 million California Super Lotto Plus jackpot was recently won by Mary Champaine, who split the winnings 13 ways with her coworkers. The linked story includes the details, including the winnings paid to each recipient.
- Don't forget, you can participate in The Big Game lottery online by clicking over to PlayBigGame.com. The jackpot is currently at $9 million for the Friday drawing.
- 6:45 am – The was no jackpot winner and no $150,000 winners in the Tuesday drawing. Click over to the Winning Combinations page for the number of winners in each of the other prize categories.
Tuesday, October 24, 2000
- 7:40 am – Although South Carolina has received a lot of press regarding its upcoming lottery referendum, several other states having important proposals up for approval by voters on November 7. The linked article describes the efforts in Arkansas to bring a lottery and other gambling into the state.
- Play The Big Game online by 2:00 PM Eastern Time today if you want to get in on the $7 million jackpot.
Saturday, October 21, 2000
- 3:10 pm – As we've reported recently, on November 7th more than the Presidential election will be decided: South Carolina voters will decide if they want to have a state-run lottery. The issue is getting hotter by the day, and the anti-lottery forces are pulling out all the stops. Click over to the linked Washington Post article which provides an in-depth look at the dispute.
- 2:15 am – Play online for the $7 million Big Game jackpot at PlayBigGame.com.
- There was no jackpot winner in the Friday drawing, but two lucky players matched the first 5 numbers for a $150,000 prize: 1 in New Jersey and 1 in Michigan. See the Winning Combinations page for the complete rundown of winners by prize category.
- 12:10 am – California is in a lotto frenzy for tonight's $85 million jackpot. This fifth-largest jackpot in the state's history could go to $90 million or greater by the time of the drawing, based on ticket sales.
- Ever wonder what it would be like to scratch off an instant-win ticket to reveal a $1 million prize? A Muskegon, Michigan resident (who wished to remain anonymous) experienced that feeling when she scratched off her "Instant Million" ticket recently.
- This next story is not lottery-related, but I'm taking a bit of license here to report on a piece of news of interest to millions of readers worldwide. J.K. Rowling, author of the tremendously popular (and excellent) Harry Potter books, has chosen a name for the series' fifth novel, due in July 2001. In addition, Rowling will be publishing two related books prior to the release date.
Friday, October 20, 2000
Thursday, October 19, 2000
- 11:25 am – Uday Shankar of Olney, Maryland recently won $150,000 in the October 6 Big Game drawing. Because Shankar had purchased the winning ticket in Virginia he was required to redeem it at a Virginia Lottery regional office (even though Maryland, his home state, is a Big Game state). Once again we need to remind the Virginia Lottery to use an image reducer; the picture included with the story is over 500k in size! (You might want to let it finish loading, though, to get a glimpse of the goofy presenter giving the winner a big check.)
- The New Jersey Lottery site posted a brief story about the $39 million winning ticket sold in the Tuesday drawing. No news yet about the winner, however; we'll post that information once the winner steps forward.
Wednesday, October 18, 2000
- 9:50 am – Want us to let you know when the jackpot reaches a certain level? All you need to do is register for a Jackpot Alert and we'll send you an e-mail when the Big Game jackpot reaches the level you specify. The nice part is that you will not receive any unsolicited e-mails by registering with us, as we never release your information to anyone.
- 5:00 am – JACKPOT WINNER: There was one $39 million jackpot winner in the Tuesday drawing! The winning ticket was sold in Hudson County, New Jersey. We'll have more details about the winning player once the prize is claimed.
- Two lucky players matched the first five numbers for a $150,000 prize: 1 in Illinois and 1 in Michigan. See the Winning Combinations page for the complete rundown of winners by prize category.
- To play for the Friday $5 million Big Game jackpot, click over to PlayBigGame.com.
Tuesday, October 17, 2000
- 7:45 am – If you want to play for the $39 million Big Game jackpot, you need to get your online order in by 2:00 PM Eastern Time today!
- Don't forget to check back with us tonight at 11:00 PM Eastern Time for the LIVE drawing results.
Monday, October 16, 2000
- 3:00 pm – Now your November vote can actually pay off. Internet bookmaker Intertops.com is offering odds on the Presidential election and giving you the ability to wager on the outcome. Hint: Bush is a slight favorite over Gore.
- The Michigan Lottery has two sections on their web site that may be of interest to Michigan lottery players. The Unclaimed Prize page lists all of the lottery prizes that have yet to be claimed within the past year, including winning numbers, prize amount, and place of purchase. Top Remaining Instant Game Prizes is a new page that lists each instant winner game, along with the number of large prizes left.
- If you don't want to miss out on large Big Game lottery jackpots, make sure to register for a Jackpot Alert, which sends you an e-mail message when the Big Game jackpot reaches the amount you specified. Your name and e-mail address are kept confidential, and signing up for a Jackpot Alert does not put you on any other e-mail lists (you won't receive junk mail).
- 6:40 am – The Big Game Lottery $39 million jackpot is now the second largest in the United States! Those who want to play for the jackpot can play online at PlayBigGame.com.
- New Jersey Pick-6 Lotto players should check their cabinets and drawers for a ticket about to expire. On Saturday, October 21, a Pick-6 ticket with a cash value of $492,771 will expire, and the winnings will be returned to the State for aid to education and institutions. The winning ticket was sold in Bergen County. In New Jersey, winners have up to one year to claim their prize.
Saturday, October 14, 2000
- 3:35 am – There was no jackpot winner in the Friday drawing, but 2 lucky players matched the first 5 numbers for a $150,000 prize: 1 in Illinois and 1 in Massachusetts. See the Winning Combinations page for the complete rundown of winners by prize category.
- The jackpot continues to grow, now $39 million for the next drawing to be held on Tuesday. Don't miss out on your chance to win -- click over to PlayBigGame.com to play online!
Friday, October 13, 2000
- 4:00 pm – Don't forget to check back with us tonight at 11:00 PM Eastern Time for the LIVE $34 million Big Game drawing results!
- 7:50 am – The Big Game jackpot is currently the third largest in the US! If you want to play for the jackpot in today's drawing, be sure to click over to PlayBigGame.com before 2:00 PM Eastern Time (the automatic purchase cutoff time). The top five jackpots are:
1. $47 million, California SuperLottPlus (drawing Saturday, 10/14/00)
2. $35 million, New Jersey Pick 6 Lotto (drawing Monday, 10/16/00)
3. $34 million, The Big Game (drawing Friday, 10/13/00)
4. $33 million, New York Lotto (drawing Saturday, 10/14/00)
5. $26 million, Washington Lotto (drawing Saturday, 10/14/00)
Thursday, October 12, 2000
- 7:30 am – H.J. Terrell of Pontiac, Michigan matched the first five numbers in the October 3 drawing to win a $150,000 Big Game prize. Click over to the story for the details, including the place of purchase.
- As a reminder, the $46 million Big Game jackpot from the drawing on Friday, June 9 remains unclaimed. The winning ticket was purchased in New Jersey.
- On November 7, South Carolina voters will go to the polls to decide if the state should ammend its constitution to repeal the ban on lotteries. The latest poll shows 48 percent for the change, with 41 percent opposed to it.
Wednesday, October 11, 2000
- 1:50 am – There was no jackpot winner in the Tuesday drawing, but one lucky Virginia player matched the first five numbers for a $150,000 prize. See the Winning Combinations page for the complete rundown of winners by prize category.
- Because there was no winner Tuesday, the jackpot is now $34 million. To get in on the Friday drawing, just click over to PlayBigGame.com and play online!
Tuesday, October 10, 2000
- 1:00 pm – Wired News has more information about a story we reported a few days ago: the Internet's largest giveaway ever. Warren Buffet is insuring a $1 billion lottery, with the drawing to be held on December 28. You probably won't be too thrilled with the 1 in 2.4 billion odds, though...
- Gambling in the South is a hot topic these days, and the linked article illustrates the two very different sides to the issue.
- Don't forget to check back with us tonight at 11:00 PM Eastern Time for the $30 million Big Game drawing results -- BigGameLottery.com is the only site to bring you the results LIVE!
Monday, October 9, 2000
- 10:50 am – The Big Game jackpot remains in the top 5 in the United States, currently at number 3. The top jackpots are:
1. $35 million, California SuperLottPlus (drawing Wednesday, 10/11/00)
2. $30.5 million, New Jersey Pick 6 Lotto (drawing Monday, 10/9/00)
3. $30 million, The Big Game (drawing Tuesday, 10/10/00)
4. $30 million, New York Lotto (drawing Wednesday, 10/11/00)
5. $24 million, Washington Lotto (drawing Wednesday, 10/11/00)
- No matter where you live, you can play for the $30 million Big Game jackpot! Just click over to PlayBigGame.com to play your own numbers, Quick Picks, or a combination of both. You can even order a lottery subscription.
- Marie Mishler of Paris, Michigan matched the first five numbers in the September 22 drawing to win a $150,000 Big Game prize. Click over to the story for the full details, including the place of purchase.
Saturday, October 7, 2000
- 6:40 am – There was no jackpot winner in the Friday drawing, but nine players matched the first five numbers for a $150,000 prize: 2 in Georgia, 4 in Illinois, 1 in Maryland, 1 in Michigan, and 1 in Virginia. See the Winning Combinations page for the complete rundown of winners by prize category.
- Congratulations to Jennifer Meyer of Kalamazoo, Michigan, who played The Big Game online and matched 4 + 0 for a $150 prize! You can play the official Big Game lottery online at PlayBigGame.com.
Thursday, October 5, 2000
- 5:15 pm – Here we go again! Just when you thought the bill banning all forms of Internet gambling had gone away, it is again rearing its ugly head. Rep. Robert Goodlatte, R-Va, is making a last-ditch effort to bring the bill to another vote. For some odd reason, certain self-righteous representatives are intent on going against the vast majority of Americans who are against the ban. For more in-depth analysis of this issue, refer to our Feature Articles section.
- 9:15 am – Florida lotto players in Delray Beach need to check their Mega Money tickets: a $90,000 jackpot prize is about to expire. The winning ticket was bought at a Shell gas station; click over to the story for the full details.
- Billionaire Warren Buffett is insuring what will become the world's largest lottery ever, with a jackpot of $1 billion (yes, that's billion with a "B"). Don't hold your breath for a winner, though. The chances of a winner are incredibly small: about 2.4 billion to one.
- South Carolina continues to debate whether or not to bring lottery games to the south-eastern state. Groups on both sides of the issue have passioned opinions, and it will be an interesting outcome either way.
Wednesday, October 4, 2000
- 8:45 am – Now you can play The Big Game over the internet! Just click over to PlayBigGame.com to play for the new $25 million jackpot. Your winnings are automatically sent back to you, and you can even purchase lottery subscriptions. With the jackpot starting its climb, now is a good time to give it a try.
- 1:55 am – The was no jackpot winner in the Tuesday drawing, but two lucky players matched the first five numbers for a $150,000 prize: 1 in Massachusetts and 1 in Michigan. See the Winning Combinations page for the complete rundown of winners by prize category.
- 12:30 am – On September 12, one Big Game jackpot-winning ticket was sold in Burbank, Illinois. This story from the Illinois lottery has the full details about Alex and Ursula Snelius, who held the winning ticket and won the second-largest Big Game jackpot ever awarded in Illinois. The store that sold the ticket didn't do too badly either: they were awarded $640,000 for selling the winning ticket.
- 12:00 am – If you haven't signed up for a Jackpot Alert yet, now is the perfect time. Simply pick a jackpot size, and we'll let you know when The Big Game jackpot reaches that size. You can even tell us to notify you of the current jackpot after every drawing. Setup your Jackpot Alert now!
Monday, October 2, 2000
- 8:35 pm – Vincenzo Bassonetti of Taylor, Michigan, recently won a $150,000 prize for matching the first five numbers in the September 8 Big Game drawing. Click over to the story for full details, including the location the ticket was purchased.
- 6:50 pm – We reported a while ago about Kerry Packer, famous Australian tycoon, who dropped a staggering $20 million at a Las Vegas casino this summer. The Miami Herald has posted a follow-up story which details some of the reactions Packer's fellow Australians had to his "contribution." Gaming fans will want to read the story for its glimpse into the world of ultra high-stakes gambling.
- 11:15 am – The Big Game is currently tied for the second highest lottery jackpot in the United States. The top five are:
1. $26 million, New Jersey Pick 6 Lotto (drawing Monday, 10/2/00)
2. $20 million, The Big Game (drawing Tuesday, 10/3/00)
3. $20 million, New York Lotto (drawing Wednesday, 10/4/00)
4. $20 million, Washington Lotto (drawing Wednesday, 10/4/00)
5. $20 million, California SuperLottPlus (drawing Wednesday, 10/4/00)
- Whether you live in one of the seven Big Game states or not, you can still play! To play for the $20 million jackpot, click over to PlayBigGame.com before Tuesday at 2:00 PM Eastern Time (the automatic purchase cutoff time). Yes, international players can participate as well.
« November, 2000September, 2000 »